Calpine’s 2021 ESG Report is here.
See how Calpine gave back to the community, valued its people & remained a leader in energy & environmental sectors during one of the world’s most challenging years.
At Calpine, we live by our ASPIRE values.
Calpine acts with Accountability, puts Safety first in everything we do, works with a Passion, treats our employees, contractors, customers and communities with Integrity and Respect, and honors our diverse backgrounds and experiences with Esprit de Corps.
Download the full 2021 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report.
Calpine’s mission is to be the premier competitive power company. Success for our investors, customers and employees means that we:
– Be the best power operator on the planet.
– Excel as a customer-centric business.
– Lead the industry in environmental stewardship.
– Live by our values.
“Since our founding, Calpine has been a leader in environmental stewardship. As the world moves toward decarbonization and electrification, Calpine’s natural gas and geothermal power plants, as well as our retail platforms, will continue to play a critical role in supporting grid reliability, providing lower-carbon power and meeting our customers’ needs.”– Thad Hill, Calpine President and CEO
This commitment has resulted in Calpine having one of the lowest carbon intensities of the electricity it delivers to its customers of any power company. Here’s how:
- Leading the industry in moving to newer, cleaner, natural gas combined-cycle units.
- Designing plants to use natural gas efficiently to lower the carbon intensity of the electricity we produce.
- Utilizing a fleet that consumes significantly less fuel to generate power than conventional power plants.
- Emitting fewer air pollutants compared to coal-fired or oil-fired power plants.
- Advocating for adoption and implementation of the economy-wide Cap-and-Trade Program and the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative program.
- Promoting state and federal policies to achieve reductions in emissions, including a national price on carbon.
We are committed to helping the country reach its clean energy goals by providing clean and affordable energy to Americans across the country.
Our Geysers in California are just one example of us making this commitment a reality.
In 2021, the Calpine Geysers:
- Were the largest complex of geothermal plants in the world.
- Provided 34% of total generation of electricity from geothermal sources in the US.
- Produced 48% of geothermal power in the state of California.
- Contributed to its local economy by providing 270 full-time and 130 contractor jobs.
People & Communities
“When we all feel a greater sense of belonging, we are more likely to bring our best selves to work each day and do our best work which includes being fully engaged, caring, and safe.”Thad Hill, Calpine President and CEO
Uplifting Our Employees and Our Communities
In 2021, Calpine offered over $3.1 million in charitable contributions.
Calpine provided approximately $144,000 in tuition reimbursement, $47,000 in scholarships and vocational grants to employees and dependents in 2021.
Calpine is proud to be a leader in the power industry, advocating for fair and environmentally responsible policies at the federal level and in the states where we are located.
Leadership: We are a founding member of the Climate Leadership Council, which promotes a carbon dividends framework as the most cost-effective, equitable and politically-viable climate solution.
Cybersecurity: We are proud to have had zero reportable incidents of non-compliance with cybersecurity standards or regulations in the past three years.
Calpine By the Numbers in 2021
Power plants in operation.
Residential retail customers.
Commercial and industrial retail customers.
$3.1 Million +
Of charitable giving.